Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Big hair, a blue cooler and a good read

Camille McPhee Fell Under the Bus ... Camille McPhee Fell Under the Bus ... by Kristen Tracy


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
What is with all the quirky titles in kid's literature these days? I have to admit that I picked up this book purely based on three things.

1. The Title (Camille McPhee1)
2. The cover art (I lurve Ms. Dardik's art)
3. I've been missing kid's books

Other than those three things, I had no idea what to expect. There are a lot of intermediate reads that are told in first person. And there are probably more than I can count that are about quirky girls and clever statements, but from the first paragraph to the last, Camille McPhee stands out. She is real and the writing of this ten year old matches what I know and remember about a fourth grade year.

Camille isn't perfect but she isn't troublesome either. She is simply a ten year old girl who desperately misses her best friend, her cat and her parents before they began fighting about being "in the hole".

A delightful story about a delightful girl...even if she has big hair and carries a blue cooler full of cheese.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment